Hands-On Direct Patient Care Experience Requirement
All applicants must complete a minimum of 500 hours of hands-on direct patient care experience by the time of matriculation.* Applicants may submit an application after completing a minimum of 250 hours of direct patient contact experience but the remaining hours, up to the required 500, must be completed and verified by April 1, prior to student matriculation in May of that calendar year. Students who fail to complete the required 500 hours of direct patient contact hours by April 1, prior to matriculation in May of that calendar year, will have their invitation for a seat in the program revoked.
- Volunteer and Service-Work experience are acceptable.
- Medical scribe activities and other direct patient care activities (e.g., medical assistant, nursing assistant, dental assistant, radiology technician, mental health counselor) meet this requirement.
- Activities caring for a family member or relative do not meet this requirement.
- Activities caring for a single individual (e.g., personal care attendant) do not meet this requirement.
- Non hands-on direct patient care experience do not fulfill this requirement (e.g., pharmacy tech, unit secretary, administrative positions and shadowing experiences).
*Unfortunately, we are not able to assist students and applicants in obtaining their healthcare-related experiences.