Your safety is our number one priority!
The Office of Housing and Residence Life has standard procedures for residents to abide by when living in the residence halls. This information will provide residents the emergency procedures such as fire safety, active shooter, natural disasters, and illness outbreaks.
If a resident is in an emergency situation, it is important that they contact Campus Safety at 276-944-6222. Additionally, the Office of Housing and Residence Life has someone on-call 24/7. Residents can call the Resident Advisor On-Call number posted within the residence halls and provided during their Hall Meetings.
We do recommend students to always keep an emergency kit in their rooms in case of power outage, ice storm, severe weather, or secure-in place situation. Items recommended are:
- Can opener
- Flashlight and batteries
- Charged cell phone to quick-charge battery for your cell phone
- A list of contact phone numbers (to use on a land-line phone if cell phone service is disrupted)
- Any necessary prescription medication
- Glasses (if needed)
- A complete change of clothing
- Cash or traveler’s check and change
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- A first-aid kit
Additionally, students are encouraged to sign-up for AlertAware Alerts to ensure they are prepared for any on-campus emergencies.