The OT program understands that the admission process can be a difficult time for applicants. It is our goal to treat every applicant with respect and honesty. Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements before applying as this will result in a denial. The application process is very competitive so meeting only the minimum requirements may not necessarily result in an onsite interview invitation. Most competitive applicants will exceed the minimum requirements.
The program takes great effort in the selection process in order to obtain applicants that are a good fit for the program as well as having the program be a good fit for them. The OT Admissions Committee uses an internal rubric scoring system scoring items such as overall GPA, prerequisite GPA, last 60 hours GPA, application essay, references, onsite interview, etc. Additional points are scored for Emory & Henry College graduates, current residents of Southwest Virginia (as defined by Virginia Health Workforce Development Authority), and Northeast Tennessee (as defined by the program - Sullivan County, Washington County, Johnson County, Carter County, Unicoi County, Greene County, Hawkins County and Hancock County).
It is vital that you complete your application in OTCAS as early as possible due to the verification process taking 4-6 weeks. Only verified records will be considered for admission. In order to be considered for an onsite interview, your application must have current transcripts, paid $30 supplemental fee, and three references submitted in your application.
Early Decision (Non-Binding) Information
The early decision application deadline is September 1, 2022. Applicants must submit all required documents in OTCAS by the deadline including the OTCAS application, official transcripts, three references, and application additional questions with essay response. Supplemental fee must be paid by deadline.
Applicants are required to have an overall and prerequisite GPA of 3.5 or higher in order to be considered for early decision.
Invitations for interviews will occur on a rolling basis beginning October 14, 2023. Though the final application deadline is January 31, 2024, it is in your best interest to apply early in order to be considered for October and December interviews. Acceptance into the program will occur on a rolling basis. Once all seats are filled then applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
If you are selected for an interview then an onsite interview is highly encouraged. It is important for you to see our facilities and meet our wonderful faculty, staff, and students. This is a great time to have all of your questions answered. A phone or internet interview may be considered for extreme cases only. This request must be submitted in writing with a detailed justification submitted to the program director. Each request will be reviewed by the OT admission committee and a decision made within 4 weeks of the submitted request.
Onsite interviews will occur on the following dates:
Dates: October 14, 2023; December 2, 2023; January 20, 2024 and February 24, 2024.
If you receive an acceptance then there is a $500 nonrefundable deposit due within 2 weeks of the acceptance in order to reserve your seat for the class.
The OT program has 3 major admission decision categories:
1. Accepted: Candidate is accepted for admission into the OT program at the next starting date. If applicant is missing any prerequisite courses or any other admission requirements, then this acceptance is conditional on all requirements being met prior to the start date of the OT program.
2. Wait List: Candidate is not accepted into the program at this time but is placed on a waiting list. Applicant will still be considered for acceptance into the program. Applicant will be reviewed and compared to other applicants after each subsequent interview session for consideration for acceptance into the program. Once all seats are filled then all applicants on the waiting list will be considered for acceptance as accepted applicants decline their seat. This process may occur through August, so applicants on the waiting list must complete all admission requirements in order to be considered for admission to the program if a cohort seat opens.
3. Declined: Candidate is not accepted into the program. The candidate may not meet admission requirements or may not be competitive with other applicants. The applicant is encouraged to take steps to improve their application and apply again.
- For academic year 2024-2025, the application process will open in the OTCAS system on July 21, 2023.
- All students applying to the OT program must submit all required materials through the OTCAS system.
- A supplemental application fee of $30 must be submitted to the admission’s office at Emory & Henry College - School of Health Sciences.
- The final application deadline will be January 31, 2024.
- It is in the interest of the applicant to apply early for consideration as the OTCAS system can take several weeks to verify all information. Application must be complete and verified in the OTCAS system before OT Admissions Committee will review. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure verification by OTCAS.
- The interview process will occur in October 14, 2023, December 2, 2023, January 20, 2024 and February 24, 2024. Interviews will be by invitation only by the OT Admissions Committee.
- Acceptance will be on a rolling admissions process.
- Classes will begin August 19, 2024.
If you have any questions regarding possible substitute courses for the required prerequisites then send your question along with the course number and course description to John Jackson, OT Program Director at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 276-944-6744